Since we now have the Executive Council filled, we are looking to hire our Executive Staff for the 2013-2014 academic year. Applications will be due by 5p.m. on April 16 to the SGA office, Taylor 203. If you are looking to apply to the position of Senator or Representative, check out our blog post on those positions.
We are looking to fill the following 6 positions:
- Chief of Staff: The purpose of the Chief of Staff is to facilitate the mission of the Executive Council through the Executive Staff. This position works closely with the Student Body President and will assist the President in dealing with all relevant and current issues. This person shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Executive Council and assist the President in overseeing the Executive Staff. This person shall act as an ambassador to other Virginia Colleges by communicating with fellow Student Governments. The Chief of Staff shall attend all Senate and Executive Staff meetings.
- Executive Assistant: The Executive Assistant of the Student Government Association serves as the secretary of the organization. This person is responsible for serving as the office manager and organizer, taking minutes in Executive Council and Senate meetings, and must be nuts and bolts certified. Furthermore this person is responsible for a large number of room reservations, cataloging the history of SGA, maintaining blackboard, sending out inter-organizational emails and updating the office calendars. The Executive Assistant position requires a minimum of five office hours per week. The Executive Assistant cannot be a senator or a representative. The Executive Assistant is a member of the SGA Executive Staff, and will attend Senate and Executive Staff meetings. This person reports to the Student Body President. The Executive Assistant is also responsible for any and all other duties listed in the constitution.
- Parliamentarian: The Parliamentarian is in charge of making a final, unbiased ruling on all issues of constitutionality that arise during SGA meetings. This person is required to attend all Senate and Executive Staff meetings. The Parliamentarian is the consultant to both bodies on issues pertaining to the SGA Constitution and Bylaws, in addition to Robert’s Rules of Order. The Parliamentarian must hold a Parliamentary Procedure Workshop for all new and returning senators and representatives. The Parliamentarian will serve as the Elections Commissioner in both Major and Minor elections. This person will hold at least three office hours a week. This person reports to the Student Body President. If the President calls for an Ad-hoc committee, the Parliamentarian will be responsible for facilitating the organization of said committee. The Parliamentarian is also responsible for any and all other duties listed in the constitution.
- Director of Public Relations: The Director of Public Relations serves as the press secretary for the organization. This person shall be responsible for forming relationships with all media outlets that provide coverage for the JMU Student Government, i.e. The Breeze, student publications, The Daily News Record, etc. The DPR will control all of the Student Government Association social media pages and accounts, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, the SGA Blog, and the SGA email. They will also coordinate content with the JMU Office of Public Affairs. The DPR shall be responsible for staying informed about all current projects within the Student Government Association and seeing that the these projects and their goals are communicated to the campus community. The DPR shall work to ensure that the information that is released about the SGA is accurate. The DPR shall serve as the main contact for those seeking information about the SGA. The DPR shall serve as a resource and information officer for the SGA internally as well as those outside of the SGA. This person shall hold three office hours a week. The DPR is a member of the SGA Executive Staff, and attends Senate and Executive Staff meetings. The DPR reports to the Student Body President. The DPR is also responsible for any and all other duties listed in the constitution.
- Director of Membership Development: The purpose of the DMD is to educate the new senators and representatives and provide leadership opportunities for all members of the Student Government Association. The DMD has the responsibility to work collaboratively with members of the Executive Council to plan retreats and organize meetings. The DMD has the responsibility to bring in guest speakers, provide leadership activities and bonding opportunities for senate. As DMD, it is your responsibility to serve as a role model to the new members. In order to encourage new member involvement, the DMD will oversee new member integration, consisting of informational meetings and mentor system. The DMD will evaluate membership experience and goals on a personal level in relation to SGA. This person will also be responsible for planning the organizational retreat and Executive Staff retreat. The DMD must have a minimum of three office hours a week and is a member of the SGA Executive Staff. The DMD attends Senate and Executive Staff meetings. This person reports to the Student Body President. This position serves as an ex-officio member of the Communities and Traditions Committee. The DMD is also responsible for any and all other duties listed in the constitution.
- Director of Media and Technology: The Director of Media and Technology (DMT) is responsible for developing and updating the SGA website. The DMT will work with the Director of Public Relations to create all visual media and marketing efforts, including posters, videos, and photographs. The DMT, who is a member of the SGA Executive Staff, must attend Executive Council meetings. Additionally, this person is responsible for the management and upkeep of all SGA-owned technology, i.e. computers, printers, TVs and iPads. The DIT also advises the organization on recommended technology purchases and assists the organization with technology acquisition and implementation. This person will ensure the Student Senate meeting minutes and attendance are posted on the website. The DMT position must hold three office hours per week. This person shall report to the Student Body President.
If you have any questions, please email SGA@jmu.edu or stop by Taylor 203!